Work has been busy this past week, hence my recent disappearance. Thanks to a little in advance preparation, however, I’ve still been eating lots of good foods and fitting in some much needed fitness.
One of my favorite “in advance preparations” from this past week would be banana bread.
At least 75% of the time, you will find a bunch of extra bananas on hand in this house (we literally buy over two dozen bananas per week!) This particular bunch was starting to reach the point between speckled and black so I decided to put them to good use, whipping together a loaf over the early part of the weekend.
This is my favorite recipe for banana bread. It not only tastes sinfully delicious, it also involves using (a) whole wheat flour and (b) reduced sugar. When bananas are used at that “golden time” (speckled and near black,) they’re so ridiculously sweet that a little sugar goes a long way. And whole wheat flour was practically made for banana bread, giving it that subtle nutty undertone which I love so much.
I like grabbing a slice of this on busy mornings, as it frees up some time to fit my fitness in as well. To really make this a super filling breakfast, I like to pair a sweet slice with some Greek yogurt (protein!!) and a piece of fruit.
Just because breakfast was quick and easy, however, doesn’t mean it was quick and easy to take the picture. 😉 Humphrey likes to be involved in everything, which can turn a 5 minute photo shoot into a 15 minute photo shoot. There were lots of pictures involving a fluffy black blob of a tail overlaying the pictures. 😉
I’m off to get ready for the day!
First things first: Church…then out for sub sandwiches..and then I’m going BIKE HUNTING! I finally decided to break down and buy one this year. There’s a 20% off sale going on right now, so it may be the perfect day to find the perfect bike. We’ll see what I find!
Why This Breakfast Works:
Recipe for a filling breakfast: Fiber + Protein + Healthy Fats
- Fiber: Whole Wheat Banana Bread + Clementines
- Protein: 0% Greek Yogurt
- Healthy Fats: Canola Oil + Walnuts in banana bread
Whole Wheat Banana Nut Bread
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 c.canola oil
- 1 large egg white
- 1 large egg
- 1-3/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 or 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl with a whisk until smooth.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to banana mixture and stir just until moist (do not overmix). Fold in walnuts. Spoon batter into an 8×4 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack, remove from pan. Cool completely on rack.
QUESTION: What did YOU eat for breakfast today?