The alarm went off at 4am this morning and I was on the road by 5am. Needless to say, I am back on a coffee kick. 😉 Aside from the caffeine boost, I love how nurturing a warm cup of coffee feels in the early morning. Lately I’ve been going half regular/half decaf with a splash of whole milk. I like a nice tall cup of coffee to sip on throughout the morning but I really don’t like how jittery it makes me. This is the perfect balance.
It’s Meatless Monday!! And I have yet another favorite dish to share with all of you…
I’ve talked about Tofu Parmesan before, on a previous blog.
But it’s so darn tasty that it bares repeating.
This is a well deserved favorite in my house.
Tofu Parmesan – modified from an Eating Well Recipe
This is a fabulous, easy dish to prepare that will please vegetarians and meat eaters alike. You could serve inside a hoagie roll or spoon over spaghetti squash as well, for a change of pace. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, pressed and patted dry
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cup prepared marinara sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 8 oz. whole wheat spaghetti, cooked
- Combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning in a shallow dish. Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 steaks and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides of the tofu with garlic powder and salt (if using) and then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their juices and begin to brown, 4 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat 3/4 cup of the sauce.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the tofu steaks and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn over and sprinkle with Parmesan. Spoon the mushroom mixture over the tofu, pour 3/4 cup of the unheated marinara over the mushrooms and scatter mozzarella on top. Cover and cook until the sauce is hot and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
- Place tofu parmigiana over bed of pasta, scoop some of the extra heated sauce on top and sprinkle with basil. Serve and ENJOY!