Every once in a while, I want something that I can really sink my teeth into.
Every once in a while, I just want a juicy burger.
Using ground turkey in place of beef can be a healthy choice, so long as you remember this important fact: turkey isn’t *always* the better option.
Some ground turkey is combined with turkey fat in order to make a juicy (albeit fattier!) choice. When you’re scouring the meat section, seek out 93-95% lean turkey meat to be sure that you’re getting a lean option.
For a veggie side, I roasted 1 cauliflower + 1 red onion + 1 lb carrots + 1 Tbsp each of olive oil and honey in a 425 degree oven for about 25 minutes. The honey enhances the natural sweetness of the veggies, providing a wonderful vehicle for caramelization. Delicious.
This is a great recipe for when you want something that you can really sink your teeth into.
This is a great recipe for when you just want a juicy burger.
Turkey Cacciatore Burgers–based on Rachel Ray’s version, with some substitutes
(Serves 4 very large patties)
- 1 pound ground turkey breast, the average weight of 1 package
- 6 crimini mushrooms (baby portobellos,) finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed away from skin and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano, a couple of handfuls
- Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
- Toppings (optional): avocado, ketchup, mustard, lettuce
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Combine meat with pepper, chopped crimini mushrooms, chopped bell pepper, chopped onion, garlic, tomato paste, Worcestershire, crushed red pepper flakes, cheese and parsley. Score and form meat into 4 large patties, 1 inch thick. Spray nonstick pan with cooking spray and cook burgers for about 6 minutes on each side (ready when a thermometer reads 160.)
Top with favorite toppings, place between a toasted whole wheat bun and enjoy!