We’ve been having some crazy rain showers here in New England. They’ve been completely random too; this morning it was pouring at the same time that the sun was shining.
I literally had a rainbow jumping over my house.
The rain finally broke, just long enough for me to dash outside and grab some herbs from the herb garden, before the rain started plummeting to the earth once again. We have mint, oregano, rosemary, etc. growing out there, but I truly (sadly!) only use two of the herbs in any full capacity: chives and basil.
I find basil to be the most intoxicating of all the herbs. During the warm summer months, I like to hang bunches of it in the kitchen, taking in the fragrant aromas that easily make their way throughout the house. Basil is so fragrant and yet so gentle all at the same time. I absolutely adore it.
Basil is full of nutrients too (it is, after all, a dark green, leafy vegetable!) And it can be used in a myriad of different ways. Basil hummus. Basil, tomato, mozzarella sandwiches. Pesto eggs. Etc. and so on and so forth.
This recipe is, quite simply, diced red potatoes smothered in pesto and then roasted. I’ve been known to eat this as my main meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But most often, I enjoy it with a side of scrambled eggs or tofu or fish and some sauteed veggies. To be completely balanced, you know. 😉
Roasted Red Potatoes w/ Pesto
(Gluten Free, Optionally Vegan, Low FODMAP)
There are a million and one different recipes for pesto out there, but I’ve used this version for as long as I can remember. If you have another favorite pesto recipe, go with that one. If not, give this one a try!
If you have a nut allergy, nix the nuts. They’re not necessary. To make this recipe vegan, get rid of the cheese. You might even consider adding some black olives to give the recipe a briny flavor. Feel free to make it your own.
- 2 large handfuls of basil
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (about 2 Tbsp.)
- handful of walnuts (or pine nuts, if I have ’em)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- squirt of lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 pounds red potatoes, diced
- Heat oven to 400.
- In a food processor or blender, blend basil through the salt and pepper. Add more oil if mixture seems too dry. Place in large bowl.
- Add diced potatoes to bowl and stir well to combine. Place on cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring once or twice throughout the cooking time. Let them get crispy and golden and delicious and enjoy!