In my purse, you will always find (a) wallet, (b) cell phone (c) a few pens (d) a notebook for keeping track of my budget (e) gum or mints and (f) a snack.
That (f) snack is usually a simple baggie of almonds. Maybe a trail mix of sorts. Or some Mary’s Gone Crackers for when the munchies hit. My body feels at its best when I can eat every 3-4 hours, and I like to stay prepared for those times when lunch comes late or when I’m at work longer than anticipated.
So, yes. You could say that my snacks stay pretty consistent.
Except fort when I’m home. That’s when I like to mix things up a little…
I found these brown rice tortillas at Trader Joe’s a couple months ago and have fallen in love with them.
They make for an awesome cheese quesadilla.😉
These wraps are decently low in sodium (160mg per wrap) and have 2g protein and 2g fiber per wrap as well. I like to amp up that protein/fiber level by adding cheese and tomatoes.
Now that all those fresh veggies are popping up at farmer’s markets (and perhaps your own backyard!), feel free to go all crazy with the amount of vegetables you add. Sauteed kale or spinach would also be a nice addition.
In addition to falling in love with these brown rice tortillas, I’ve also fallen in love with chives.
Chives are ridiculously easy to grow and spread like wild fire (i.e., find some people who will take a few plants off your hands in the next couple of years after planting them!) Chopped up into a million and one little pieces, chives add such pizzazz to any savory dish or snack.
Cheese Quesadilla (Gluten Free, Low FODMAP)
Serve with a dab of plain greek yogurt, salsa and/or guacamole if desired. Although I enjoy this for a snack, it also makes a nice side for a bowl of soup or a freshly tossed salad. Enjoy!
- 1 Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Tortilla (or whole wheat alternative)
- 1 Slice of Swiss Cheese
- 4-6 thin slices of tomato, dabbed with a paper towel to remove extra liquid
- cooking spray
- Coat a nonstick frying pan with cooking spray. Heat to medium.
- Slice the cheese in half and place each half on one side of the tortilla. Top with tomato slices so that tomatoes cover the entire half of a tortilla. Fold tortilla in half and place on pre-heated frying pan.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes. Flip. Continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes or until golden browned and cheese has melted. Top with chives and enjoy!
QUESTION: What are your favorite snacks “to-go”? How about when you’re home?