It feels like a very good day to share one of my most favorite banana bread recipes.
Being my favorite because it tastes absolutely sinful. Dreadfully indulgent.
Like you should save it only for those special occasions.
Thankfully, however, this bread is far from sinful.
(1) The white flour has been replaced with whole wheat flour, which provides you with a multitude of vitamins and minerals, along with a healthy dose of fiber. Fiber keeps you feeling full longer, which is helpful if you’re watching your weight. It also helps in lowering your cholesterol.
(2) The sugar has been reduced to a measly 1/4 cup (the bananas are the main sweetener here.)
(3) A healthy oil is used, but not in excessive amounts.
(4) Dark chocolate is added, which (yes) is high in calories in fat but (yes) also offers you heart protective benefits.
The result is a banana bread worthy of being called dessert while also being virtuous enough to be called breakfast.
And simply enjoy.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
You can tweak any of your favorite bread/muffin recipes to make them healthier versions of themselves. I’ve had success cutting out half the sugar and half the oil in most recipes. If you’re watching sodium, you can also cut back on half the salt, as I did here.
- 1 c. mashed very ripe banana (about 2-1/2 medium)
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- 1 large egg white
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup good quality dark chocolate chips
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl with a whisk until smooth.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to banana mixture and stir just until moist (do not overmix). Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon batter into an 8×4 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack, remove from pan. Cool completely on rack. Enjoy!